About the Marin Interfaith Council
Marin County is rich in religious diversity. Marin Interfaith Council brings religious leaders and members of various faith communities together for study and celebration throughout the year. Participants experience one another's prayers, meditations and music. We discuss issues that concern all of us and learn about one another's traditions. MIC's commitment to celebrating faith traditions is based on knowledge and respect for shared experiences. MIC believes increased sharing among people of many faith traditions deepens understanding and respect. Interfaith understanding breaks down barriers, creates trust and builds genuine relationships and encourages diverse groups to celebrate their traditions together. As we do this well in Marin County, MIC can be a model for others, locally, nationally and around the world.
Marin faces social justice issues - right here at home, right now. The gap is widening between rich and poor. One in six families lives in poverty including 18% of Marin's children. Healthcare is out of reach for the 15,000 who do not have health insurance. Meanwhile, the median family income for the county has risen to nearly $89,000 - and with it, the cost of living soars.
We, as people of faith, can take action.
MIC offers Forums and Clergy Luncheons to address justice and pastoral issues. One of MIC's most important roles is gathering various religious communities together to discuss local justice issues and decide on appropriate action. MIC participants feel that faith and conscience compel us to make real a world where all people are valued, safe, fed, housed, and respected.
Marin is our home. Together, we collaborate to practice compassion and advocate justice for all.
MIC builds community by bringing together faith congregations, civic groups, local non-profits, religious leaders and individuals.
- Forums: Hear local clergy and civic leaders address an issue with time for open discussion. Each forum is hosted by a different congregation or non-profit.
- Clergy Luncheons: A unique opportunity for faith leaders to gather and engage a featured topic.
- Fall Interfaith Education Series: Delve into the wisdom of various faith traditions in four weekday-evening sessions.
- Interfaith Retreats: Sit, walk, pray, meditate, and be present with a diverse gathering of colleagues. Day long retreats held at different retreat centers in Marin.
- Annual Celebrations: Join MIC's observance and celebration of the National Day of Prayer.
- Annual Visionary Marin Evening: Honor exceptional visionary work as we raise funds and celebrate community.
- Sacred Music Concert: Hear music from diverse global and faith backgrounds.
- Creativity and Spirituality Evenings: Experience local artists and hear how their work is influenced by their faith.
- Calendar of Events: By website, email, regular mail, learn about what's happening at MIC and in Marin.