MIC Staff Members
Rev. Carol Hovis, Executive Director
Carol is an ordained Presbyterian minister (PCUSA) and the Executive Director of the Marin Interfaith Council, since July 2004. Prior to her position with MIC, she served for six years as the Community Advocate with the San Rafael Canal Ministry in San Rafael, CA.
Carol moved to northern California from northern Virginia in January 1998. Born and raised in metropolitan Washington, DC, Carol attended college in Pennsylvania and Union Theological Seminary in New York City. She returned to the DC area in 1988 to serve a Presbyterian congregation in Fairfax, VA.
After nine years on staff at Providence Presbyterian Church, seven as associate pastor, she resigned in November 1997 to begin a 11 month personal sabbatical which brought her to northern California. In September 2000, Carol received the Diploma in the Art of Spiritual Direction from the San Francisco Theological Seminary in San Anselmo, CA.
In May 2009, with great joy, Carol married Chris Highland. Chris is a published author, teacher and freethinker. He was an ordained Presbyterian minister and served as an interfaith chaplain for a total of 20 years in the Marin County jail and then with the unhoused street community.
Allison Kirk, Administrative Assistant
Allison became involved with the Marin interfaith Council when she moved to San Rafael in 2012. With a Clergy mother in the United Church of Christ tradition in southern California, she became involved with interfaith work at a young age. Allison holds a MA in Ancient History and Mediterranean Archaeology from Berkeley. She currently volunteers at the Canal Alliance teaching English, and enjoys playing soccer in her free time.
Board Members 2012-2013
- Rev. Terry Hamilton-Poore, PRESIDENT - Christ Lutheran Church, Fairfax
- Ms. Suzan Berns, VICE PRESIDENT - Congregation Rodef Sholom
- Ms. Louise Franklin, SECRETARY - Nonprofit Consultant / Buddhist
- Sister Colleen McDermott, TREASURER - Dominican Sisters of San Rafael
- Ms. Fern Jeffcoat - Brahma Kumaris W.S.O.
- Ms. Nancy Johnson - First Missionary Baptist Church
- Ms. Aarti Kumar - Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'is of San Rafael
- Rev. Jeremy Levie - Green Gulch Farm Zen Center
- Sarah Hastings Mullin, Ph.D. - International Association of Sufism
- Robert A. Rees, Ph.D. - Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints / Graduate Theological Union
- Ms. Suzanne Sadowsky - Congregation Gan HaLev
- Rabbi Henry Shreibman, Ph.D. - Dominican University of California / Reconstructionist Rabbinical College
- Chaplain Nathaniel Vose - Hospice By the Bay, Community of Mindful Living / Thich Nhat Hanh
MIC Board Resolutions & Policy Documents
- On November 19, 2009 the Board approved a letter to be sent to the City of San Rafael urging them to approve permits for the rotating winter shelter, and to give provisional permits while the process is being completed to allow the shelter to open on Dec. 1st.
- The Board decided to agree with the proposal for a suicide barrier on Golden Gate Bridge. Here is their letter to the board.
- At the August 2006 Marin Interfaith Council Board of Directors meeting the Board voted to unanimously endorse Proposition 1C on the November Ballot: The Housing and Emergency Shelter Trust Fund Act of 2006.
- MIC Congregational Covenant on Poverty - Healing the Broken Covenant
- Resolution: Moratorium on California Death Penalty
- A Season For Nonviolence details here: Season For Nonviolence
- MIC Board Resolution on Immigration Reform
- MIC Prayer Breakfast article - Marin Interfaith Council: Building Community Through Prayer